Are you looking to equip your car for off-road expeditions? Did your brand new 4WD come with “all terrain” tyres that aren’t as sturdy as you had hoped? We’ve got all the information you need right here! We’ll take you through everything, from who should use all terrain tyres to how to pick the right one for you.
Need help choosing a tyre or want a price? Call our expert team on 1300 772 579 for assistance or click here to find your nearest store.
What are all terrain tyres?
If you drive to the office Monday to Friday, but love a good off-road adventure on the weekend, consider all terrain tyres a ‘best of both worlds’ solution. All terrain tyres are stronger and have deeper treads than regular tyres, but they’re also safe for urban driving and run smoothly on paved roads.
Who should use all terrain tyres?
All terrain tyres are capable of driving over sand, light snow, rocks, and uneven terrain. They’re also very safe for use on highways and paved roads. If you need tyres that can handle both rough and smooth surfaces, this is your answer. If you like going off-road for camping trips, outback driving, and wildlife spotting, but you also live in an urban centre, all terrain tyres will definitely suit your lifestyle.
What to look for in an all terrain tyre
There are a few things you look for to ensure you’re getting a high quality tyre that will fit your needs. As with any major purchase, do your research online and check out reviews of the tyres you end up shortlisting.
- For strength, you’ll want to make sure it has more plies than a regular tyre. Plies are the layers in the structure of the tyre.
- Ensure the tyre has tread cleaning elements to rid it of mud and rocks while driving.
- Look for a more open tread than that of a regular tyre. Some all-terrain tyres aren’t made super strong and don’t look much different to a regular tyre – you’ll want to avoid this.
- Buy something ideal for wet weather and mud. This way you’ll know your tyres can handle anything.
- Durability is a key feature to look for. Do your research and read tyre reviews if you’re unsure just by looking at it.
- Tyres with anti-chip properties are increasing in availability. Try buying tyres with this feature.
- Extra traction in the form of side biter lugs is great if you’ll be driving on rocky or muddy terrain.
- Think about why you need these tyres. Is there something specific you want them to do? For example, if you plan to drive in snow, make sure the tyres you buy can definitely handle it.
How to maintain your all terrain tyres
Once you’ve got your perfect tyre, it’s important to look after them. Due to the rough conditions, off-road driving can wear down your tyres pretty quick – even super strong all terrain tyres.
- Always avoid taking a corner too hard or braking suddenly.
- 4WD cars have specific requirements for tyre inflation. Make sure you stick to the manufacturers guide. Under inflation can destroy tyres, particularly during off-road driving.
- Have your tyres checked regularly for damage and tread wear and tear.
- Pop in to your local mycar shop for more expert advice on all terrain tyres.
Want to make a booking?
If your car is due for a service or needs any kinds of mechanical repair, then call us on 1300 772 579 to book a service, or here to find your nearest store..